Monday, September 18, 2006

Welcome to Laputa

Why Laputa? Three reasons, actually.

  1. I'm a fan of Jonathan Swift. Unlike so many commentators who write today, he was able to both convey a message and be entertaining at the same time. Some of his writing reads as if he dipped his pen in pure aqua regia, and I have no doubt that if he were writing today, he'd be the recipient of enough death threats to paper his walls.
  2. I'm a fan of Hayao Miyazaki. Even the Disneyfied version of Miyazaki's Laputa deserves recognition for both its storytelling and its art.
  3. In my own writing, the main setting of most of my stories is an anarcho-capitalist nation which was named Laputa by its founder, in a deliberate slap against the oppressive governments surrounding it. In my stories, just like in the real world when reading what Swift wrote, those who most need to get a clue from it are too blind to see it.

So, you can expect to find mostly rants, political and philosophical stuff here. I don't claim to be a commentator of the same order as Lew Rockwell or L. Neil Smith, but occasionally I just need to be able to spout off, whether anyone else reads it or not.

No comments: